Cottage pie is a traditional poor man’s dish made with either beef or lamb. Since such meats are pretty expensive in Singapore, I went ahead and made my own version using pork and chicken mince instead. The total cost of my ingredients added up to $11, and the resulting dish gave me four hearty portions.
It was my first time making shepherd’s pie and I found it to be quite easy to make. Leftovers also freeze really well. Maybe I could continue to make this when I start work!
One pack of pork mince (approx 250g)
One pack of chicken mince (approx 250g)
Vegetables of your choosing – I used capsicums for colour and corn kennels
Onion (diced) – half an onion will do
Garlic (diced) – just a few pieces
Stock (100ml – I used chicken stock)
- Boil the potatoes. Leave aside.
- Marinate the meats in a mix of garlic, worcestershire and soya sauce.
- Heat the pan, and fry the onions. When fragrant, add the marinated meats
- Add the vegetables
- Add the stock and allow to simmer for about ten minutes
- By this time, your potatoes should be cooked. Mash them up and mix in a little milk to help give a smooth texture
- In a baking dish, pile the meat and vegetable mix and top with the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree Celsius for fifteen minutes